Monday, January 17, 2011

Scratch Built Storm Shield

That's the finished product. I'm pleased it came so close to what I had envisioned. It's not that I don't like the basic storm shield, I just felt I could give it more character.
I started by removing the buckle that connects it to a normal shield.

The main portions were of course fashioned from plasticard, the back a thicker version and the front piece was a paper thin section. My wife handled the piece last and shifted the tail-piece without my knowledge. Supposedly accidentally. Women, can't live with them, can't keep them away from your figs.

Here's the rear where I placed the buckle from the standard shield, I bent it to purpose with some rubber bands and placed the buckle inside the curve so it would reinforce and adhere well.

I then drilled some small holes down the middle and placed some miniature beads(found in a household Brita water filters' filter). I battle damaged it quite a bit in hopes of taking the eye away from the misalignment of the thin piece of plasticard. Last of all, I put a large cluster of purity seals to cap it off.


  1. The coal from Brita filters are quite nice to use for basing as well. Just a tip:)

    Makes me curious of who will end up with the shield :)

  2. Nice work with the plasticard, sir. I know I'll be waiting a while to see these on models and on the table, but I can already tell it will be worth the wait!

  3. well, let's see, I'll have to post my army list some time. Should be about about 36 terminators large.

  4. Also just in case you didn't hear about the new FAQs, they just updated Dark Angel Deathwing to 5th edition. TH/SS Termies as troops and they can also have cyclone missle launchers. 2500 points on the nose for the hq, 45 termies with 1 missle launcher/5-man unit, and a 255point landraider of your choice (basic or crusader with stormbolter, or redeemer with extra armor/multi-melta and storm bolter). I am seriously considering it once I get my Blood Angels done.