Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Space Wolves Are Broken



























Gar! Yet another commission for my pal Nick. This time it was a piece I was only vaguely familiar with; Dreadnought! I had the distinct displeasure of putting together a Venerable Dreadnought kit about a year ago. Damn. You. Games. Workshop. This half pound piece of crap destroyed my entire complement of drill bits, didn't fit half the time(the chassis was a bastard), and ruined two metal files. Dear GW, Patrick again.....yeah....about those models that are huge bricks of pewter....ummmm, I'm gonna have to never buy any of those again. Sincerely, Patrick. Well they finally got rid of the paperweight that is the Steamtank, though it's secondary function as a doorstop and even an instrument of self-defense will be missed.

I digress, as you can see I had been commissioned to build and paint a Space Wolves Dreadnought. Above you can see the project midstride, based black with some portions painted shadow grey. The portion I want folks to see most is the right shoulder of the chassis, the yellow and black area. I was very happy in particular with this non-standard paintjob, it was accomplished witha bit of blue painters' tape and my airbrush. It even pushed me to make the right arms(lascannon, assault cannon and JOY! plasma cannon), black, with only certain parts painted a very darkened boltgun metal. I then shaded them progressively with a mix of chaos black/grey/skull white, up until the final highlights with straight skull white. I had to go super light on the white, you don't want it overpowering the hard work you put into creating a consistent gradation from black to white.

I chiseled the raised areas off the faceplate of the sarcophagus and painted it white, then placed a decal from the Baneblade in the middle, it pulled a good piece together and added my signature custom touch to the piece.

I am super satisfied with my efforts this time around. The SM Dreadnought is a joy to assemble and paint. I only hope that Nick thinks so too!






No comments:

Post a Comment